Following your professor or teacher favorite essay format is very important. You may think that following this kind of style or format is silly, but following the popular styles, such as MLA or APA helps students to keep their papers neat, organized and free of plagiarism. This why you must always follow your professor instructions.
What Is An Essay Format?
An essay format is a collection of guidelines that determine how a paper should be organized. It contains the title page, basic essay structure, essay outline, your conclusion, citation etc.
How To Format An Essay?
When formatting a paper, you need to have a page title, proper essay structure, text capitalization, proper citations, you need to know how to make a hook for an essay and works cited page. Below we have written a step by step guide on how to write a proper essay.
How To Create A Title Page
- Double-space your page. Do not use single space for your title.
- Use Times New Roman, 12 pt font.
- Write the name of your university or college.
- In the third line below the name of your institution, write the title of your paper.
- To the bottom of your paper, write your name, the course name and number. the instructor’s name and the due date.
How To Write First Page Of Your Essay
Before you start writing you must structure the first page of your essay paper.
- Add the header to your essay in the right hand corner, half an inch below the top edge of the paper. You must do this with every page of your paper expect from the page where you have cited the paper.
- In the upper left hand corner of your paper place the heading.
- Insert and center the title of the essay an inch below the top edge of your paper.
- The image below shows how it should look like when its done.
Introduction, Body, and Conclusion
Every type of academic paper, weather it,s a short essay or a dissertation, has a introduction, body and conclusion. In an essay consisting of five paragraph, two paragraphs would be dedicated to introduction and conclusion, while other three to the main body. Once you learn how to to write a five paragraph essay consisting of these parts, writing a paper, no matter how long or short becomes much more easier.
- Use Times New Roman and 12 pt font.
- In your introduction statement clearly state the main idea of your paper.
- The Body of Paper
Support your ideas in a logical way by citing evidence you discovered in your research.
Be Sure to transition smoothly from point to point.
- Conclusion Of Paper
Conclusion of the page is where you wrap up your paper by bringing together all the main points of paper.
Do not introduce new points to the conclusion of your paper.
In Text Citation
Whenever citing the work of someone else in your paper, you will have to use in-text citation in the paper in order to show the reader clearly where you found the information. Follow these examples whenever doing in-text citation.
Cited Page Works
The works cited page is where you can use every source you used.
- List your sources in alphabetical order.
- If your reference takes up more than two lines of text, indent the second line of text to the right by one inch, and all other lines for the same reference after the second.
- Materials taken from different forms of media (print, web, lecture, etc.) must be formatted differently. Here is an example of how to write a reference from a book with the format guidelines.
- Write the last name of the author followed by his first name. Place the title and then the publishing information as indicated above.
There are lots of different ways to write your references because now a days there are many different types of media. Consult with a style guide in order to find out more. In the meantime you can look at some of our essay format examples:
We hope that these essay format examples will help you.
What is standard essay format?
A standard essay format is guided by the standard essay format rules. Below are those guidelines.
- Specific Page Margins ( e.g 1 inch)
- Specific line spacing ( e.g double line spacing ) and specify rules for paragraph spacing. ( e.g no spacing )
- Page headers ( containing author’s last name, short title etc )
- Using specific fonts ( e.g Times New Roman, 12 pt font size )
- Headings and Subheadings ( headings of different levels usually differ in formatting style and font size )
- Page Numbers
- indentation (usually, about 5 spaces = half an inch)
How To Structure An Essay ?
A simple way to structure an essay is to introduce thesis. Each coming paragraph of main body would then start with a topic sentence supporting or addressing that thesis. followed by a few sentences supporting or explaining the topic sentence, and a paragraph-concluding or transitioning sentence. Finally, use the introduction to bring in some context/ show the importance of the topic, or capture attention and the conclusion to highlight key points.
How Can You Write A Good Essay ?
Some key requirements for writing a good essay apart from clear and efficient structure are ensuring logical flow of content and smooth transitions but also credible evidence taken from trust worthy sources. A lot depends on how original and plagiarism free your information is so the content quality is very important while writing a good essay.You can also choose a best essay writing service like Paper Scrappers to write your essay for cheap.
Tips For Writing and Conducting Research
As we said writing is hard and even professional writers like me have trouble doing that. Here are some useful tips which i as a professional writer follow in order get most from my writings.
- Become Master On The Topic. Do as much reading as you can so that you know more then the professor knows on that topic. and write down the author’s name and publishing information of the material you plan to use so that you can quickly insert it into your works cited page.
- Pre-Writing. When the American science-fiction writer Robert Heinlein was asked what the secret to completing a novel was, he replied, “Just write.” In order to complete your task, you are just going to have to sit and down and do the work. Discipline yourself to commit a few hours a day to completing your paper.
- Don’t procrastinate. If you have an essay due, do not wait until the last minute to do it; instead, dedicate a few hours everyday to doing a little bit of the work. Before you know it you will be done – probably early – and your work will be superb. If you wait until the last moment to finally do it, the quality of your text will suffer.
- Check your work. No matter how great of a writer you are, you are bound to make a few mistakes. I guarantee that you will find more than a few grammar and stylistic mistakes even in this guide. That is why you must check grammar and spelling in your own work.